Amniotic Sac

With my first son’s birth the midwife suggested we rupture my amniotic sac when I was about 9+ cm dilated.  I went along with it, but in hindsight wondered why we did that.  Clearly dilated between 9-10 cm it wasn’t like we had a long way to go.  So, when it came time for my second son’s birth I resisted the temptation – even though I was really tempted.  After a full day of mostly light labor, but a couple hours of harder work I was only 4 cm and I was pretty sure I was going to be working all night.  I resisted because I knew I felt regret the first time around and it turned out to be a good decision.  I spent the next 1.5 hours in the shower thinking to myself “I am a childbirth educator, I am a doula, I must do this.  I must do this.  Can I do this?”  Fortunately when the doctor came to check on my progress I learned that I had, in fact, done it.  I was ready to push.

On my first push there wash a gush of lightly green tinted amniotic fluid.  Yes, meconium staining.  As I reflected back on the whole situation I realized that if I had consented to an AROM (Artificial Rupture of Membrane) they would have discovered the meconium earlier and I would most likely have spent my most difficult moments of labor in bed (torture to me) and hooked to a monitor instead of in the shower.  I felt glad for my decision.

Anyway, another local doula Yvonne Novak posted this blog on her facebook page and I thought it was really interesting.  Hope you enjoy it.

www.douladana.com

Comments are closed.